As a runner, it’s important to properly refuel and rehydrate after a long run or a hard workout. But it’s easy to forget about hydration during the winter months when the weather is cold and we’re less likely to feel thirsty. However, it’s just as important to stay hydrated during the winter as it is during the summer. An isotonic drink can help you do just that! It contains a balanced ratio of electrolytes and carbohydrates to help replenish fluids and electrolytes lost during physical activity. Plus, it’s easy to make at home with just a few simple ingredients. Here’s a recipe for making an isotonic drink at home that’s perfect for runners.
- 1 quart (946 mL) of water
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) of salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of sugar
- 1/2 cup (118 mL) of orange juice or other fruit juice
- Combine the water, salt, and sugar in a large pitcher or container. Stir until the salt and sugar are fully dissolved.
- Add the orange juice or other fruit juice to the mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the sweetness or saltiness to your preference by adding more sugar or salt as needed.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Enjoy cold after your run or workout.
Note: You can use any type of salt for this recipe, such as table salt, sea salt, or Himalayan pink salt. You can also use any type of sweeteners, such as honey, agave nectar, or maple syrup, in place of the sugar. Additionally, you can add a pinch of baking soda to the mixture for added electrolytes.
As a runner, it’s important to stay hydrated and refueled year-round. An isotonic drink can help you do just that! With just a few simple ingredients, you can easily make an isotonic drink at home to help you recover and perform at your best. Give this recipe a try and see how it works for you!